Picture : Jule Brand, who was ranked second at THE IFFHS WORLD'S BEST YOUTH PLAYER 2022 (U20) , was the match winner for Wolfsburg. She gave the power and the assist to Pauline Bremer for the 3-2 in the last minute.
UEFA WOMEN’S CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – SEMI FINAL 2 second leg
- It was not enough for the Gunners of Arsenal looking to reach the Champions League final for the second time in their history, place in front of a sold-out Emirates Stadium (60 063 spectators – record for Arsenal) ! A late goal in the extra time gave the qualification to Wolfsburg, qualified for the fifth UEFA Champions League final on June 3 in Eindhoven against FC Barcelona.
- Stina Blackstenius, the swedish goalscorer of Arsenal, scored already her third goal in the competition, with one goal in each leg against Wolfsburg.
- Katie Mc Cabe, the irish captain of Arsenal, played a fantastic match with her usual power and determination.
- Arsenal had confidence from the fact that they were unbeaten in nine home matches in all competitions. Serie finished !
- The Gunners have lost their two previous two-legged European ties against Wolfsburg.
- Wolfsburg had never lost on their travels in the Champions League this season, having won four now and drawn one of their four European away games.
- Although they were eliminated at this stage of the competition last term, Wolfsburg have won five and lost just two of their six Champions League semi-final ties.
- They have also won both of their previous European semi-final ties against English opposition, beating Arsenal in 2012-2013 and Chelsea in 2017-2018.
- Caitlin Foord with a hamstring problem joined Kim Little also out for the rest of the season with a hamstring issue, while Beth Mead, Vivianne Miedema and Leah Williamson are long-term absentees with anterior cruciate ligament injuries.
- Lena Lattwein was out for Wolfsburg as the Germany midfielder continues her recovery from a broken collarbone but Captain Alexandra Popp returned, having missed the first leg with an Achilles tendon problem. She was decisive !
- Barcelona's Aitana Bonmati (14) is the only player in this season's competition to have had more attempts on goal blocked than the 12 recorded by Stina Blackstenius .
- Wolfsburg have won nine and lost one of their past 15 Champions League matches, although they drew their third game of their most recent five in the competition in the first leg.
- Ewa Pajor is the only player to have scored more than five goals in the 2022-23 Champions League, finding the net eight times so far.