Picture : Sveindis Jonsdottir scored here the second goal in front of Ewa Pajor.
UEFA WOMEN’S CHAMPIONS LEAGUE – SEMI FINAL 2
ARSENAL NEAR A SECOND FINAL
- Sveindis Jane Jonsdottir, Iceland’s best player, was the Queen of the first 30 minutes of the first leg between Wolfsburg and Arsenal. She gave an assist for Ewa Pajor and scored herself the second goal for Wolfsburg.
- Stina Blackstenius earned Arsenal a 2-2 draw before 20000 spectators. For the first leg in London on Mai 1, there are already 45 000 tickets saled !
- Poland’s woman top goal scorer ,Ewa Pajor, is like Robert Lewandowski in Barcelona, the best Goal scorer in Wolfsburg and in the Champions League 2022/23 with 8 goals.
- Arsenal has played 106 UEFA Champions League games in 15 seasons, only Olympique Lyon has played more with 130 games in 16 seasons.
- Arsenal won only one UEFA Champions League title in 2007 against Sweden’s Umea. The only final in the History until now.
- Wolfsburg, making their debut, got the better of Arsenal in the 2012/13 semi-finals on their way to the first of two titles (2013, 2014). Wolfsburg played 5 finals (2013, 2014,2016, 2018, 2020) winning only the two first.
- The season 2012/13 was the Gunners' most recent appearance in the last four.
- Arsenal knocked out Bayern to ensure a return to the semis despite the long-term absences of Vivianne Miedema and Beth Mead, and an injury to Kim Little.
- Leah Williamson, taking over the captaincy role from Little, suffered a serious injury on Wednesday in the loss at Manchester United. She will miss the last games and the World Cup !
- Wolfsburg are coming off a stunning 5-0 German Cup semi-final win at Bayern to reach the German Cup final against Freiburg.
- Former Arsenal players Jill Roord and Dominique Janssen played against their old club, while Gunners defender Noelle Maritz appeared more than 100 times for Wolfsburg.
- Lena Oberdorf, the young surprise of the Euro 2022, earned again a yellow card against Arsenal due to her great defensive midfield work.